There are a lot of youths in the country who are very confused with their careers in life or what they would want to do. Some are in a dilemma while others are frustrated because their parents are pushing them pursue family interested careers that will bring honour to them the parents.
This is a major problem because it goes a long way to affect national development. This is because, people who are forced into a profession do not put up their best in their field because they do not have any joy in working.
Such people could be in the industry for years and would not achieve anything for him/herself.
Parents must allow their children to follow their dreams and passion, because when they are forced into it, the person cannot deliver to expectation.
Whatever you are doing in life, you need to ask yourself, does it address a problem in the society, does it impact lives and does it bring fulfilment to your soul. If you do not get answers to these questions, then you need to consider what you are doing and chase your passion.
This is my advice to the youth, do not be a victim, rather chase your dream:
- The youth in this country should choose a profession out of passion and not solely for material gains especially money. This is because passion will take you far and you would succeed but money won’t.
- Passion will give you joy and happiness but money turns into frustration and pain.
- Many people find themselves in the wrong professions, contributing negatively to the development of society because, such professions were either forced on them or they were attracted by material considerations. Many people die at the hospitals because, some nurses were negligent while others did not pay attention to them because, the job is not their passion so if people are suffering, they would rather cause more pain to the person by shouting at the person.
- Professions like Nursing, Doctor, Journalism etc. will cause you so much pain if you don’t pursue them with Passion but pursue them solely in the name of money. Despite its own risks and challenges, if only you will pursue with passion. It will bring fulfilment and honour to you, family and friends.
- Don’t become a doctor because your friend is a doctor rather do it because, you are passionate about it and you want to touch lives. When you do something because a friend is doing it, you may not deliver or your productivity would be low because, the strength and weakness of the person are different from yours.
- You should choose professions that bring out the best in you. Sometimes, you will choose a profession which would expose you to other potentials and skills you possess. When you don’t utilise your potentials you kill it, but utilise it, it expose you to more and it grows for you to become better person.
- Many people have quit their professions and venture into other professions or businesses because they were forced into professions that they are not passionate about. This situation blocks the chances of others and does not improve productivity.
- Some of the most expensive artworks are sometimes expensive, we ask ourselves why should just a piece of artwork cost that much. That person has added value to his passion. Become that person if you have that in you.
- We all have talents, skills and potentials in us, we can only enjoy it when we associate ourselves with the right people, and add value to it. You have to be mindful of the environment you find yourself in and the company so that you could get better people to polish your potentials.
- You need to have a role model or mentor that you will always look up to and get inspiration and encouragement from. It is very important because, sometimes it gets you going especially when you encounter challenges and trials.
- In all pray for God’s guidance, God answers all prayers and he directs to the path of perfection.
Parents must do well to encourage their children to follow their passion and allow them to follow their dreams without dictating for them.
Editor: Mr Louis Owusu