I got alarmed as I lay on my bed this dawn, thinking of a more feasible and possible way to reach my students amidst this pandemic. I got to realize that the world is favourable to the privileged. Whenever a problem arise, 80 per cent of the policies and good measures put in place favours the privileged whiles the less privileged struggle to enjoy the remaining 20 per cent.
I am afraid of how formal education in Ghana in the near future will look like . Hmmm, it’s a pity. Majority of students are from under- resourced homes and this pandemic time has little or no educational support that will keep them on track to catch up with their colleagues from well resourced homes.
The initiative made by Ghana Education Service in providing online lessons is good but who are the beneficiaries of this? I believe this initiative was intended to help bridge the educational gap within this covid19 era, but is this really the case? What else can be done to ensure equity?
Under- resourced students neither have smart phones nor Personal Computers; neither do they have access to the internet. Surprisingly, most of such homes do not even have television sets; talk less of being on satellites. Then how is this online lessons beneficial to them? Hmmm! It leaves one to wonder.
While most private schools’ managers are ensuring that their teachers reach parents and students or pupils in their schools for continuous learning to be encouraged, most government schools’ teachers are relaxed doing their own things without thinking of their students or pupils. Meanwhile, majority of the less privileged are in government schools. Is there any possible way of teachers reaching parents and students or pupils to give them the needed support?
Will educational inequality ever end in Ghana? Yes, it can end with you and I sharing responsibilities as teachers, parents and individuals towards bridging the gap of inequality whether in difficult or easy times.
I anticipate a more successful initiative to support our students and or pupils as we all come together to bridge the gap of inequality.
Written by: Regina Okyere Darko
Editor: Roland Annor Botchway